For almost a week, I gave away memories to grandson Coleslaw(his current favorite nickname). I did this because I have such wonderful memories of being with my grandparents. They didn’t spend all their time trying to entertain me. They went about their normal life, and I just followed along for the ride – I mean for the memories. Here are some that I hope will stick.
1. Stalking a squirrel that is stealing our peaches.
2. Feeding and watering the pony.
3. Cooking breakfast every morning and sitting down with Papa and I to eat.
4. Working in the garden.
5. Cleaning some part of the house every day.
6. Watch old TV shows – Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Perry Mason. Counting the shots at the beginning of the Rifleman. Betting that Perry would win the case. Knowing that Matt would win the gunfight.
7. Watch weather every day and most of the times at least twice. (As if our 100 degree heat will changed from the lunchtime forecast to the evening forecast.)
8. Sitting on the porch while watching him ride the four-wheeler.
9. Shooting the BB gun.
10 One shot from the 410 shotgun. (That was all he wanted of that.)
11. Wondering how he felt when everywhere we went people commented on how he was the spitting image of his daddy at that age – especially when he started wearing his dad’s old baseball cap around town.
12. Seeing the rainbow after the rain and talking about the possibility of gold at the end of it.
13. Building a dinosaur puzzle together.
14. Doing the “taco” tuck in for bed at least four times a night.
15. Buying the old-fashioned cap pistols and having an out-and-out war with the cap pistols. Papa and I were full of holes.
Maybe just one will stick. At the end of the visit, he began to tell us just don’t answer his mom’s phone calls. Then he said to tell her he was moving in with us and going to school here where he could ride the four-wheeler to school. She finally forced him home after about a week.
He’ll be back. We have much more excitement to live. Enjoy every minute.